Weekend Getaway

Earlier this month, we celebrated our Anniversary with a weekend getaway, with the kids, to Hot Springs, AR.
Hot Springs has always been special to me, as I spent many summers there as a kid with my grandparents. We would always camp at Gulpha Gorge Campground and spend hours in the creek.


The creek has a "rock" bridge, where you have to jump these big rocks to get to the hiking trail and a small waterfall that we would always play in.
On the other side is this bridge, with this tunnel, and as a kid, I was terrified of this tunnel. The creek isn't too deep and I always saw other kids playing in the tunnel, but I could never bring myself to go to it. Looking at it as an adult, it's not that scary.



When Ricky asked me where I wanted to go, and looking at our options, we decided on Hot Springs so I would be able to share some of my childhood memories with my family.
The fondest memory I have of Hot Spring is walking the Promenade and bathhouse row.





There are carriage rides that go Downtown, so as you are walking the Promenade, you could always hear the horses hooves on the road. Well, pawpaw would ALWAYS wear his boots and stomp his heels down the promenade and, we loved it.  Looking at it as an adult, this was just a clever way to get all the kids to burn all their energy, but we still made great memories. The end of the promenade leads to one of the many hot springs, and we were always able to take our shoes off and stick our feet in the hot spring.  I think this is one of my favorite spots.


Fast forward so many years, and here I am at the same spots with my own family.



We knew we were here for a short amount of time, so we wanted to make the best of it, but walking the Promenade at 5:30 in August was not the best idea. It was so HOT.
Each year we would always take a picture at this rock, which is really big, so here is Derek at the same rock.


We also went to the Mid-America Museum, which Derek had a blast, but he skipped his nap, so he was getting really tired, so we decided to leave early.


We had such a fun time in Hot Springs, and Derek's favorite thing about the whole trip was staying in a hotel.
I just love taking family trips.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

San Diego, CA Part 2

16 Months Old

19 Months Old