Separation Anxiety for Parents

We have all heard that kids get separation anxiety when they have to leave their parents and it can become a big deal. I remember when Derek started daycare and he had really bad anxiety and was constantly upset. I thought it was from all the changes that were happening to him at once, and I am sure some of that was the case, but Derek was struggling with separation anxiety.  I also had a hard time with it, with all the changes that took place, and we would both cry, but I assumed it would get better. For me, I felt like I loved him so much, and as an adult, this was part of it.
Well, this past weekend, I realized that I struggle with separation anxiety, and it isn’t just a kid struggle.


There have been many times I have had to leave my kids, and anytime I do, I immediately feel sick to my stomach, and want to cancel all my plans.  Of course, you are not able to do that, but I always cry and feel horrible about it.

This past weekend, I left, with Derek to go visit my brother, and I was so torn up by leaving Dylan with his daddy. Now I knew he was in good hands, and he would have a great time with his daddy, but I struggled because I would not be there.  I had Derek with me, and that helped, but as I was crying, I realized, I don’t like being separated from my kids.  No matter if they are with my mom for a day, overnight, or a weekend. I am constantly worried about them.  There are times when I need a break, but I don’t want a break. I am to my breaking point, but can’t make myself break away. I have learned that it is easier for me to keep going than face the huge anxiety that comes with the separation.
I know that separation is good for all parties involved, but I find it hard to enjoy myself when we are apart.  To overcome this, I have learned a few tricks that help me manage the stress of being away from my kids.

  •  I remind myself that this is hardest for me, and my kids are having a great time, spending time with others.
  • I tell myself that it's ok to take a break and take care of yourself. 
  •  Enjoy the moment of quiet, and focus on yourself.
  • Once you are reunited, it will be awesome, and you know they missed you


Being a mom is the best job, yet the hardest job and I love being a mom, but I also know how important it is to take care of yourself.
      


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

San Diego, CA Part 2

16 Months Old

#ONEBIGTRUTH