Letting him cry it out!


Since Derek was 6 weeks old I knew there would be a day I would have to tell him good night and put him in his crib and let him put himself to sleep! I was not looking forward to that day at all so every night, no matter how tired I was, I would rock, bounce, and hold my baby boy!
I knew the time was coming, Ricky and I had been talking about it and we had the date set of when we were going to start letting him put himself to sleep! That whole day I had a knot in my stomach the size of my fist, but I kept tell myself it's not tonight, you don't have to do this yet.
 
 This is how he actually woke up from his nap.

He must have been sleeping good!





Well Derek had a different plan.  February 22, I went to put him asleep and he wiggled so much that I had no choice but to set him down, he cried for a bit and feel asleep! When I went to check on him, he was out! I didn't know what to think, I was happy and sad at the same time!
  •  My baby is really growing up, and I didn't have to put him to sleep! 
  • WOW I cant believe how easy that was.
The first few nights were rewarding, we set a time and stuck to it every night; we put him down, he would cry about 15- 20 minutes and finally go to sleep, but let me tell you, to a mom that 20 minutes is the roughest 20 minutes of every day!

 I had read that the first few nights are the hardest for the baby to learn the new routine, but then they will get the hang of it and eventually fall right to sleep after laying him down! With that being said, the 4-5 night were good, not too much of a fuss, and then he was asleep!

He is actually laughing here, but I thought it would fit anyway!

This past week has been the real test, he has had a cold and I know he doesn't feel good, so every time I lay him down he screams, and I know I am doing the right things, but all I want to do is hold my baby and make his cold go away so he can feel better!

As for the "cry yourself to sleep", it is working.  At 8:30, we put him in his crib, turn on his crib soother, I pat his tummy and walk away.  Usually within 15 minutes he is asleep!

All I know that is will be a trail and error stage, and all I can hope is that I don't cave into him, and that we all get the hang of this new routine!

Untill next time.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

San Diego, CA Part 2

16 Months Old

19 Months Old